Saturday, January 18, 2014

An Account of my Last Six Months

In the last six months of my so called "pre-adult years" I have experienced much and in return learned and grown tremendously. For lack of a better way to organize, I am going to group my story into months. So here we go:

August: August 26th, 2013 I loaded up my KIA and drove to Provo, Utah with my parents. Eager to take in the college experience, I was ready to move out, be on my own, and start a whole new chapter in my life. Little did I know, this event would be one of the toughest things I have ever done. My family has always been the most important thing in my life and I knew that I would miss them a ton. What I didn't know was that I would soon be buying round trip plane tickets every month.. well my dad's credit card would be. And it's a REALLY good thing he missed me too.
Lesson #1: Never take your family for granted. Everyone and their dog knows that people don't know a good thing until it's gone, and I can fully attest to that. I am so blessed and grateful to call my family "all
mine".

September/October: These two months are pretty much a blur in my head. Being my first semester at college, I kept myself busy studying and doing homework. I turned into quite the textbook worm.. not my fondest memories. However, during this time I also managed to fall in love with the idea of having a pet. Two things: 1. My apartment complex does not allow animals. 2. My parents may or may not have told me it was a bad idea and yes, I did it anyway. For two weeks, with any free time I managed to squeeze in, I looked for bunny breeders. And lucky for me I found one. Not to mention the breeder was tired of breeding and decided to give the babies away for free. So I jumped on the opportunity, drove to American Fork, and got myself a baby bunny. It was what you could call love at first sight because as soon as I saw him I took him home and decided to name him Ollie.
Lesson #2: Allow yourself to have fun. If your goal is to be miserable in college do what I did and stay home in the apartment every night studying. Now if you have a big test or essay due, don't procrastinate. But also enjoy being a kid and enjoy the time you have to free your mind for a few hours.
Lesson #3: No matter where you are or how creative you are, your parents know Everything. While I thought I was being sneaky in the process of adopting a bunny.. my parents knew.. the WHOLE time. Luckily, we still just laugh at it.

November: November 8th I had a special round trip ticket to Arizona for two very important reasons. The first reason being: My baby sister Londyn made the decision to be baptized. Londyn was baptized on Saturday, November 9th, and it was quite the extraordinary moment for her as well as it was for me. As I watched Londyn beaming with happiness and excitement it reminded me of the never-ending joy that we can feel from following the counsel we have been given and living and following the commandments. The true joy that comes from obeying is like nothing I have experienced before. Londyn was dressed in white, pure and clean, and a radiant and beautiful daughter of God. The second reason for flying home was that my best friend was leaving for a mission. Many of you have read my previous blog post about my missionary and while I love to brag and talk about how amazing he is, I just want to touch base on what I felt that weekend. On Sunday November 10th, Alex gave his farewell talk. Emotions crowded my head and my heart was heavy but his pure and personal testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ touched my heart. To this day I am a proud girlfriend and grateful for the decision he made to serve a mission. He and countless other missionaries continue to be an example to me of trust and faith that the Lord, Jesus Christ, has a plan for the gathering of Israel and we as LDS members have a calling and responsibility to assist in the gathering.
Lesson #4: I know the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the only true church on the earth today. I have a testimony that Jesus Christ lives and loves each one of us. When you are struggling and facing hard times, remember to "Doubt your Doubts before you Doubt your Faith."

December: December was finals month and also vacation month for me. I finished my finals December 18th and then flew home to Arizona, December 19th, for a blissful and memory filled three weeks.  While I was at home I was able to spend time with my family, going to dinner, seeing movies, visiting the Mesa Temple, going shopping, watching my sisters play soccer, running with my parents, watching the little girls horse riding lessons, and also playing games from sunset to sunrise. I pretty much have the funnest, silliest, craziest, busiest, loving and most supportive family I could have ever asked for. I love them with every bone in my body. While I was at home I was also able to spend a lot of time with Alex's family going to dinner, playing games, making Walmart runs, and exchanging presents on Christmas. They never cease to make me feel loved and I am grateful to have them in my life.

January: Now we are in January of 2014, and I am back up in Utah going to school once again at Utah Valley University. This semester I am taking Biology 1010, Psychology 1110, Sociology 1110, and English 2010. All I keep thinking is Wow, that's a lot of --ologies. Hopefully its not as bad as it sounds. {Fingers crossed}

As the new year takes course, I have enjoyed setting new goals and looking forward to what the future has in store for me. Some days I wish I could fast forward time a couple years and some how I continue to be reminded to live in the present. {Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift from God.. and that's why its called the present.} So here's my Hoorah to living in the present and yet always looking forward.
Best of luck to you all on your New Years goals and if you're the lazy one who hasn't started, I suggest you get off your bum and.... Just Do It!


Mesa Temple Christmas Lights with the Family.

Little gals Horse-Back Riding Lessons! 

My New Years Kiss

One of the adorable gifts from Sister Sorenson!
My Baby Ollie
Cute Picture From My Sweet Elder. 




1 comment:

  1. Lauren I love the honesty in this post! Good luck this semester and let me know if you need anything! I'm super close by :)

    ReplyDelete